Sunday, January 26, 2014

**** Without a Net by the Grateful Dead – No Drugs Necessary to Enjoy This!

First, of all, I am not much of a dead head. I have never seen them live. I don’t do drugs. However, this is a really good concert. Phish is better, but the Grateful Dead was a good prototype. There is more to Without a Net than just humdrum scatterbrained sound. The Grateful Dead are definitely talented, and their improvisational skills shine through on Without a Net. Is this the Dead’s best? I’d have to say, “No.” However, this one is up there as being one of their better efforts.

What interested me in this disc was the Grateful Dead’s inclusion of “Eyes of the World” on the band’s greatest hits compilation from the Arista Years. I later learned who Branford Marsalis was, and that would happen to be that he has been one of the most influential musicians ever; captured in this song on saxophone. I figured that since Eyes of the World was so good on the Greatest Hits compilation that it would be worth it to pick up a copy, and I figured right. I can’t say that is true for some of the other albums by the Dead.

I have to admit Jerry Garcia’s voice sounds rather worn out, no doubt due to drug use. However, the voice does have a bit of charm to it.

Another highlight is the Grateful Dead’s version, “Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo,” which at times is quite emotionally evocative, at least for me, though I have never crossed the Rio Grande, or any of those other rivers.

This is a stand out disc from the Grateful Dead’s mediocre Arista years. It is good from start to finish though I would hesitate to call it great. This time period may be compared to the Rolling Stones releases late in their career, where the disc usually has one good song, and yet the Dead put out a really good album. However, this disc stands out from this time period as being worthy of purchase.

What is really great about Without a Net is that I have had it since High School, probably 1996 or so, and it still entertains me.

No comments:

Post a Comment